The effect of Social Media on Education Pros and Cons
Social Media and Education
We just reached an accumulated 2 billion active social media users worldwide; this means that the effect of social media on our way of life and on our education is inevitable.
One of the major factors of our life that got affected is our education, knowing that the majority of the social media users globally, range from the age of 14-29 AKA school years more or less.
Though we all might assume that the effect is one sided, but it seems that social media has done as much good as bad to our educational structure.
1. Students are having a harder time getting to communicate face to face with people, and are losing their people skills, due to that they are spending more and more time talking from behind a screen.
2. The attention to details, attention to pronunciation and grammar, has declined drastically, due to that most of the communication that happens online is not proper.
4. Social Media had become a major distraction to students, causing the overall performance of students to decline, especially the ones who tend to check their Facebook and twitter while studying.
On the other side
1. Social media did make the world a smaller place, now we have more information, more knowledge, and have better opportunities to use it.
2. Social media improved our ability to absorb information, what would have seemed to be over whelming to someone 20 years ago is normal to us, we have an extreme ease in processing and we are evolving quickly.
3. Social media helped students have a better direction of what they want, now they have ease of reaching to mentors in the same industry and people already working in their dream company, and get a taste of what it is like, which was quite impossible for students 10 years ago.
4. Students got closer to art and design, and are exposed continuously to new ideas, and are given a big chance to feed their creativity.
5. Talents got discovered faster, students who were good at programming got their name out their easily, student who were good in music, got their videos out and shared leading them to their dreams.
6. Google and education, Google has helped over 20 million student in their education using their tools.
7. A lot of the students were able to inform public about their issues – using social media which brought awareness and helped solve a lot of problems.
Free education to everyone
Schools are using social media for a lot of good reasons
1. Engaging communities
2. Engaging Alumni
3. Engaging current students
Universities are starting to offer free online courses to the general public.
1. Stanford University
2. Harvard University
3. MIT University
Check out this infographic on how social enabled us to build a better educational future (source-http://ansonalex.com)
Schools are starting to use a positive side of technology and social media for the benefit of their students, make sure you use your social network as a tool for growth and improvement, or else it might be just another obstacle.